Hatshepsut's chapel at Karnak to open for public
|The blocks on mastabas [Credit: CFEETK]|
Minister of State for Antiquities Mohamed Ibrahim said that the majority of blocks of this chapel were found scattered at the beginning of the 20th century in the Karnak courtyard cachette where a collection of gigantic colossi of different New Kingdom kings, queens, nobles and top officials as well as deities were discovered. Another batch of the blocks, Ibrahim added, was found in mid 1950's during excavation works carried out by Sheata Adam and Farid El-Shaboury at the cachette.
|The chapel during reconstruction [Credit: CFEETK]|
The blocks stood on mastabas at the open air museum until 2008 when the CFEETK started a comprehensive reconstruction work on all chapels that were dismantled in previous ages. Some of its blocks were used in the construction of other monuments inside Karnak and elsewhere in Luxor.
|The reconstructed chapel [Credit: Ahram Online]|
Mansour Boreik, the supervisor of Luxor Antiquities, told Ahram online in a telephone interview that the newly reconstructed chapel, which is known as the "Sacred Monument," is a very important monument in ancient Egyptian history since it is one of the few still surviving records that attests explicitly to the power of Hatshepsut as ruler before her ascendancy to the throne as king.
|Hatshepsut's cartouche [Credit: Ahram Online]|
Karnak complex gives its name to the nearby modern village of El-Karnak, some 2.5 kilometres north of Luxor.
Reconstruction work on this chapel is now completed and it would be open to public end of February.
Author: Nevine El-Aref | Source: Ahram Online [February 10, 2013]
Labels Ancient, ArchaeoHeritage, Archaeology, Breakingnews, Egypt, Greater Middle East, Heritage, More Stuff, Near East